About Bere Island

There are two regular ferries to Bere Island. Scattered throughout the island are numerous remains including two in-tact six inch guns at Lonehart Fort. These are remnants of the vast Victorian fortifications which Britain built to protect its naval base in Bere Island Harbour and maintained up until 1938. On the Berehaven harbour side of the island a French Armada longboat landed in the 1796 invasion of Cuan Baoi, which is now called Bantry Bay.