Harrington Clan Page
Name in Irish: O Hiongardail or O Hurdail
For many centuries the name Harrington or O hIongardail has been associated with the baronies of the Beara Peninsula and Bantry .Yet the only family group of the name to receive mention in the genealogies belonged to the Fir Maighe Fene.The name Ingardal or Indargal is itself a very rare one in the old genealogies. On the period to which Crichad an Chaoilli relates the Ui Ingardail were no longer in the Fermoy area the former tuath of Ibh Ingardauil with its chief residence Conbaidh (Conva par Ballyhooly) then formed half of the tuath of O Quain.
Perhaps by that time the Ui Ingardail had already migrated either by choice or from necessity into West Cork.The town land of Kippaghingerghill in the parish of Kilmacomogue (Bantry) may have been an early settlement of theirs. There are no early records of the name, the first reference to it in West Cork occurs in 1518 where Donaldus Yhyngardeyll parish priest of Kilmackillogue became parish priest of Kilcaslain and Kadmarra in the dioceses of Ross And Ardfert probably Kilcaslain and Kenmare.
Practically our only source for the history of this family is in the Elizabethan Flints .The first pardon in 1576 is to Donald mac Dermod oge Donald mac Dermod oge and Dermod oge bege. In the following year among pardons granted to a group of west Cork chieftains we find Thady O Hingerdell called O Hingerdell.He was chief of his name and obviously of some importance politically .A later pardon (1584) gives his place of residence Teig O Hingerdell alias O Hungerdell of Bantry and his son perhaps was the John mac Teige O Hungerdell of Bantry.His son perhaps was the John mac Teighe o Hengerltye alias Harrengton of Downebechane who was pardoned in 1577.Dunbeacon was then the site of an O Mahony castle.This is the earliest evidence we have of the transposition of the family name to Harrington. Apparently the name O hIongardail, it had not then been modified to the modern O hUrdail was found difficult to pronounce by English officials and somebody must have suggested an English alternative. Harrington bears little resemblance to O hIongardail but the choice may have been influenced by the fact that Sir Henry Harrington was a leading figure in Elizabethan Ireland .
Others of the name pardoned in 1577 were Thady O'Hingirdill of Cahermuckee and John Hingerdell of Carre.
(Source ; Family names of County Cork Diarmuid O Murchadha The Collins Press)
Timothy Harrington (an ex Lord Mayor of Dublin)
||Timothy Charles Harrington was born in Castletownbere, the son of Denis Harrington and his wife Eileen Sullivan. Both he and his brother Ned were educated at the local National School at Brandy Hall.
Tim subsequently became chief assistant teacher in Brandy Hall and later on at the age of 26 joined the teaching staff of Dominican School, Holy Cross, Tralee.
From an early age his organisational skills came shining through and it was not long before he entered the journalism profession and founded his own paper “The Kerry Sentinel”.
|He became very involved in public affairs and politics and it was his outspoken and fearless views that got him prosecuted and sent to jail in Tullamore, Co. Offaly but while there he was elected without opposition as a Member of Parliament for West Meath which started him on his long political career. He was three times Lord Mayor of Dublin and aroused widespread sympathy for the Maamtrsna prisoners, who were sentenced to be hanged for murder. He later represented many of these prisoners after finishing law school at Trinity. Both he and his brother devoutly supported Parnell and Tim used his skills as a lawyer to promote unselfishly the National movement. He refused to receive the King on his Royal visit to Ireland along with refusing a knighthood while Lord Mayor of Dublin. Timothy Harrington was above bribery and held his honour and character as the most prized possessions of his accomplished and distinguished life until his passing in the year 1910.
This site is produced by Beara Tourism and Development Association 1998 - 2005 Managed by Jim O'Sullivan,
Web site text researched and compiled by:
Diane Hanley, Aisling O'Sullivan, Orlagh Harrington, Claire O'Sullivan, Hilary Leahy, Gina
All text copyright © Beara Tourism and Development Association.
None of the material in this site may be reproduced without permission.